This blog has been created to share my experience on passing Project Management Professional (PMP) exam with 'Above Target' performance rating in all Process Groups (Initiating, Planning, Executing, Monitoring & Controlling and Closing) in the first attempt. This blog describes a KISS (Keep It Short & Simple) approach for passing the exam.


'Above Target' is the highest performance rating in PMP exam.

Sunday 19 November 2017

Read PMP Exam Prep and PMBoK in detail once and revise them twice


Here's the approach I used:
  • First reading: During the first reading of PMP Exam Prep, I read through the whole book and I highlighted only those points that I found were very challenging to remember. There were some interesting points that I did not highlight because I felt that I understand those points well and would be able to remember them. I took the practice test at the end of each chapter and I highlighted questions which I got wrong. I also highlighted some of the questions which I felt were challenging to answer although I had answered them correctly.
  • First revision (second reading): During the second reading, I again read through the whole book without much of skipping of sections. I highlighted additional points that I did not remember well and I was surprised to have not highlighted them during the first reading. During the second reading, I did not read all the questions in practice test at the end of the chapters. Instead, I only focused on the highlighted questions.
  • Second revision (third reading): During the third reading, I focused on the highlighted points thus reducing the time required for revising topics in the book. I also answered the highlighted questions which are part of the practice tests in each chapter. The second revision (third reading) was done a few days before the exam.
I used the same approach for PMBoK as well. There were three rounds of reading in total which helped me remember the topics better as compared to reading twice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment