This blog has been created to share my experience on passing Project Management Professional (PMP) exam with 'Above Target' performance rating in all Process Groups (Initiating, Planning, Executing, Monitoring & Controlling and Closing) in the first attempt. This blog describes a KISS (Keep It Short & Simple) approach for passing the exam.


'Above Target' is the highest performance rating in PMP exam.

Sunday 19 November 2017

My experience at Prometric Test Centre in Bangalore, India

At Prometric Test Centre in Bangalore, India, I was provided with a key to a small locker in which I could store my bag. Since I had reached 30 minutes early, I walked around the test centre to locate the rest room and drinking water kiosk. I drank water and used the rest room a few minutes before entering the exam room. I was not supposed to take anything into the exam room. There is an extensive check done before
entering the exam room. For example, the extensive checks required me to pull down my socks and show that I had nothing hidden in the socks. I also had to show that my pockets were empty. I was provided with two pencils and a thin booklet with multiple sheets of paper. I was allowed to carry the key to the locker. I was informed that I can write on the paper only after the first question appears on the monitor. There were multiple cubicles in the exam room and I was provided a cubicle. I was later informed that the cubicles are pre-assigned and the staff at Prometric test centre did not have the option of changing the cubicle assigned to candidates. 

Apart from monitor, keyboard and mouse, the cubicle also had noise-cancelling headphones. I was told to go through a video that provided instructions on taking the exam and I was informed not to write anything on the paper before the first question appears on the monitor. The 15-minutes instructions video described the following:
  • Navigating through the questions
  • Marking questions for review
  • Highlighting phrases in questions
  • Using calculator (Each question has a button for calculator, which when clicked, would start the calculator program available in Windows Operating System)
  • Navigating to the list of unanswered questions 
  • Navigating to the list of questions marked for review
Do not hesitate to ask the staff at Prometric Test Centre for help if you need any support during the exam. 

At the entrance to exam room, there was a note which mentioned that the temperature would be maintained between 21 and 23 degrees Centigrade. However after an hour in the exam room, I started feeling cold. I had forgotten to carry my sweater to the exam room. I did not want to take a break to get the sweater because every time we go out of exam room, we are required to go through extensive checks. After 2 hours, I decided to take a break. I informed that staff that I would like to take a break and I requested the staff member to help me get my sweater. During the break, I used the restroom, drank water and entered the exam room wearing my sweater after going through the extensive checks.

The cubicle which was assigned to me was close to the door. The exam room did not appear to be sound-proof and I could hear the staff providing instructions to candidates outside the exam room. The noise-cancelling headphones were not helpful in cutting-out the voice from outside the exam room. I informed the staff to keep the door closed properly and to keep their voice levels low. Although I was wearing noise-cancelling headphones, I felt distracted multiple time during the test. 

After three-and-half-hours, I noticed that I had around 40 more questions to complete. With only 30 minutes left, I started answering questions at a faster rate. I completed answering all the questions with 5 minutes to spare. I let the exam timeout by itself on the computer. After exiting the questions and answers section, there was a survey and feedback section that I had to respond to on the computer. In the survey and feedback, I mentioned about the distractions I faced during the exam. After the survey and feedback session timed-out, the results appeared on the screen. I was happy to see that I had cleared PMP exam with 'Above Target' rating overall, and also with  'Above Target' rating in all the process groups (Initiating, Planning, Executing, Monitoring & Controlling and Closing). I was happy to have cleared the exam with the highest rating in first attempt. 

I asked the Prometric staff if I would be provided with a printout (hard copy) of the exam results. The staff informed me that they would provide a printout of the results outside the exam room. I walked out of the exam room and I was asked to sign on some papers. The staff congratulated me and provided me with a hard copy of the exam results. It was a pleasant feeling when I walked out of the test centre. I would like you to pass PMP exam and experience that pleasant feeling when you walk out of the Prometric test centre. All the best for your PMP exam!

No comments:

Post a Comment